The Ashwood Centre, Leeds
The church, a listed building grade 2, was erected in 1864 to designs by Cuthbert Brodrick (1821- 1905). It is a relatively standard church from the outside and, although of fine quality, is essentially unremarkable. The design, however has some interesting internal features the first being that the architect has taken the slope of the land to create 2 main levels the lower one forming some classrooms and ancillary space whilst the upper one, accessed from Headingly Hill by a magnificent flight of stone steps, contains the liturgical space. Unusually, the columns do not support the usual stone arches but carry a vast, complex, timber roof structure.
Vacant for the past few years, we have now secured planning permission and Listed Building Consent to convert the building into 7 very large apartments using the same design philosophy that we have employed on other church conversions.
In recognition of the significance of the historic building our intervention threads and weaves its way through the existing structure, avoiding damaging load transfer and ensuring that the original character of the building is still legible. It is important that we retain the external appearance of the building as close as possible to the original and we were surprised that the local authority forced us to cause significant damage to the exterior by insisting on converting windows into doors rather than a minimal intervention to an interior already undergoing significant change.
Heritage services provided by Atelier Heritage.